Posted by City Section on February 07, 2017 at 09:10:09:
There is still a big game on Friday between Narbonne and Carson, but with Fairfax winning last night, I think they have taken top seed away from Palisades.
1. Fairfax - split league title may mean best win gets top seed. Right now, Fairfax has it with win in OT over Brea.
2. Palisades - I give them 2 because they really should be 1, but they didn't take care of business last night.
3. El Camino Real - one criteria is "quality wins" which is wins against teams above you in MaxPreps. They may actually have the most of all these teams, but they also have some blowout losses to good teams.
4. Granada Hills - best record but schedule not up there with the others. Their "best win" is El Camino (who also beat them). After that best win is Antelope Valley.
5. Eagle Rock - quietly is 20-5 with good SOS. Has win over Keppel.
6. Legacy - 19-10 with good SOS gets them into 6. Don't have the team from last year but still have to play well to beat them.
7. Carson - Record not as good as Narbonne but better schedule and currently has win over Narbonne. If Narbonne beats them on Friday, may flip spots.
8. Narbonne - Wouldn't have picked them before the season for Open. 18-5 but behind Carson because Carson beat them and has better SOS. However, if they beat Carson Friday, may flip due to better win (Valley Christian).
Just missing the cut (and probably happy about it): Birmingham and Westchester. They should meet in D1 final.
One more pass at this Friday night/Saturday morning.
Bracket due Saturday late afternoon.
Breakdown on Monday. But I will say this. I have seen the top 4 all play multiple times.
I still think Pali is the most dangerous team. And they have won before so they know how to do it. Champs until you aren't.
But while they were clearly the best team last year, graduation and transfers have put some dents in the armor. Any of the top 4 has a realistic shot to win it all if they play well.
Post a Followup